Monday, January 24, 2011

Papaya salad




 Papaya is not one of my favorite fruits. So when I ate a papaya and avocado salad at a friends place, I was surprised by how nice it tasted. Avocado has a nice buttery and creamy texture  and though I cant talk so fondly of the papaya it does have a similar texture. And I thought they do make a good pair. So I have to thank my friend for introducing me to this salad. Knowing the health benefits of the papaya, I have been trying different variations of the salad and this one is my favorite. I like the way different flavors and textures come together. It is sweet and spicy and the roasted corn gives it a nice burnt smokey flavor to it.

 INGREDIENTS
Half papaya (about 2 cups cubed)
Avocado cubed 1
Small onion 1 (chopped)
Roasted corn kernels about a cup
Kidney beans  or black beans 3/4th cup
Jalapeno 1 seeded and chopped finely
A few dried cranberries and candied walnuts
Capsicum or sweet pepper (1/4 cup chopped)
Handful of baby spinach leaves
Chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
Candied walnuts
Juice of one lemon
Sugar 1 tsp

METHOD
Peel and cube the papaya, add the avocado, onion, corn, beans, jalapeno, cilantro and peppers. Add salt, pepper and squeeze the lemon juice over it. Mix well. In a serving bowl make a bed of spinach leaves and add the salad on in. Top with the cranberries and walnuts.



No comments:

Post a Comment