Friday, July 22, 2011

Sev usal



I love this dish made out of dried  peas that are soaked overnight and then cooked with a lot of spices, onion, garlic, tomatoes and served garnished with sev and chutney. Sev usal used to be a popular snack in my college days (and I am sure still is) served in every restaurant or college canteen. It would be really hot and spicy with oil  floating on top of the katori (bowl), topped with raw onions and sev served with a slice of bread to sop up all the heavenly gravy. Again when I make this at home I cannot dare to make it as oily as that even though that did taste good. I feel it is difficult to go wrong with this dish as the peas have a unique taste and with all the spices and flavors that go into it, it has to be good.

Ingredients
I cup dried peas (soaked overnight)
1 medium onion (finely chopped)
2 1/2 tbsp ginger garlic green chillies and curry patta paste
1 tomato (finely chopped)
1tsp turmeric powder
1 heaped tbsp coriander cumin powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1tsp garam masala
salt to taste
1 lemon
2 tbsp oil
For garnishing
Sev  (gram flour noodles) preferably the thick ones
chopped onion and cilantro
tamarind chutney



Method
Take the soaked peas and put them in a pressure cooker along with at least 3 cups water and salt (the peas would have doubled overnight). Cook for 10 minutes or 3-4 whistles. The peas should become soft but not mushy.
Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped onions. Fry till the edges start getting brown. Add the ginger, garlic, chilli, and curry patta paste. Stir well and let it cook for a few minutes. Now add all the dry masalas along with a tablespoon of water. Throw in the tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes break down. Add the boiled peas and mix well. Taste for seasonings and cover the pan with a lid and let it simmer for a few more minutes. Once it is done add the juice of one lemon.
For serving, take the peas in a bowl and top it with chopped cilantro, onion and tamarind chutney. I like to serve it with some kind of bread. Garlic rolls or bread sticks taste good with it.








5 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm.....! Mouthwatering! I have made sprouted moong dal pakodas with coriander chutney today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Samira, I want to eat the pakodas!! Now I cannot get my mind off them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This ought to tickle your palate.....there was this chap - 'the over there' types. He once went to the Kamati Baug Museum canteen for refreshment. Came back and very triumphantly told us, "I say! Just had a nice plate of Save Your Soul."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog and for your nice comments. Love your blog - recipes and colorful pictures. Adding you to my reader. Take care now!

    ReplyDelete