I love this time of the year. Growing up in India I could only dream of seeing autumn with leaves changing to beautiful colors and the air cool and crisp with the right kind of nip. Some days do get unusually cold like the last weekend when the temperatures dipped to the low 30s. I remembered some of my close friends and family who have stood by me through the years and wished I could meet them more often. Weather always affects my mood and this one was in a pleasant way!
(For one person)
2 small cans of V8 juice
1 teaspooon mustard seeds
3-4 leaves of curry patta
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi)
1 teaspoon red chili powder
2 teaspoons rasam powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon asafoetida (hing)
a pinch or turmeric
1 cup water
half a lime
salt as required
1 teaspoon oil
- Heat oil in a pot.
- Drop the mustard seeds, methi and asafoetida.
- Add the curry leaves and cover the pot.
- Quickly add the rasam powder and chili powder
- Pour the V8 juice,water and sugar
- Cover and let it come to a boil.
- Adjust salt according to taste.
- Squirt juice of half a lime just before serving.