Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Vegetable upma


Upma with peanut chutney

The last few days have been busy and I have not been able to cook much. We are living on the simple home cooked  dal chawal, which is not bad but  I needed a change.The freezer has been extremely useful too for times like these. Since I did not have the time for anything elaborate, I made upma (semolina) with vegetables and added some soy protein to make it more nutritious. The texture of soy granules blended well with the semolina. It was a nice and wholesome meal.


Ingredients
1 cup rava
1/4 cup soy protein (soy granules)
1 onion
1/2 tsp ginger (finely chopped)
1 green chili (chopped)
Mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, tomatoes, bell pepper)
Mustard seeds, urad dal, cashews, dried red chilies, peanuts
1 lemon
cilantro for garnish








Method

Dry roast the rava and keep aside. Heat some oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, urad dal, red chillies, curry leaves, peanuts, ginger and cashews. Stir for a minute and add the onions and carrots. Cook till the onions get translucent and mix in the pepper and frozen peas. Add about 3 cups water and bring it to a boil. Add salt to taste and slowly mix in the roasted rava and soy protein. Stir in between to mix well.  Add the chopped tomatoes I like to add a little sugar too (about half a tsp). Once the water gets  completely absorbed squeeze the juice of 1 lemon and garnish with cilantro.I served it with peanut chutney.






1 comment:

  1. Ok-upma is the one thing in the world that I cannot eat. Even after trying many different types, I have been unable to swallow more than a couple of mouthfuls. If you can make me eat upma- that would be a miracle! :-D

    ReplyDelete